2017 Week 50 Day 1 (11 Dec)

Post your day 1 images in this thread.
Ok, Gordon, here we go.

The 50mm f/1.8E lens is the smallest 50mm Nikon has ever made, if I'm not mistaken. On camera it looks almost like a pancake. It contains no coatings whatsoever, and was designed to be the cheap kit lens for the small inexpensive Nikon SLR that Nikon introduced in the '70's.

I decided since it was an inside (snow) day, I'd start my week by confirming and showing what this little lens can't do. Then, the rest of the week I'll concentrate on what it can do.

Shot #1 here shows its susceptability to glare and ghosting from the lack of coatings. The small christmas tree was sitting on a table on my back porch, waiting to be trimmed. I decided it would be fun to silhouette it and to see if I could get a sunstar on top of it. Turns out I could not quite get far enough away from the tree to accomplish that, but I did get the sunstar along with accompanying glare and (down the stem from the sun) a small purple ghost. Not always a show stopper, but something my 50mm f1.4D doesn't do, or at least do as much.

Day 1 Picture 1 - Backlight, Sunstar, and Flare/Ghosting
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/16.0 at 50.0mm iso220

Another deficiency of this lens is a pretty distant minimum focusing distance. The following shot was taken at minimum focusing distance, and as you can see it leaves quite a space between camera and subject.

Day 1 Picture 2 - Not a Close-Shooter
original.jpg

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/8.0 at 50.0mm iso6400

Of course, this can be rectified with tubes or close-up attachments. I added one of my set of inexpensive Vivitar close-up filters, and was able to get the following. Since the lens is 52mm in thread, these attachments are readily available and cheap.

Day 1 - Picture 3 - A Close-Up Solution
original.jpg

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/4.0 at 50.0mm iso6400

Tomorrow is another day. I will be taking the camera/lens with me as I go through the day. We'll see what I get with this little guy.

Last edited:
A quicky to get started
20171211110002_4220.jpg

D750 50/1.4 1/200 at f/4.0 ISO 500

I just liked the pattern made by the fencing with little snowy waves from a nearby house who's owner wondered what I was up to but smiled when I waved the camera in his direction (was too far away to talk).

Ok, Gordon, here we go.

The 50mm f/1.8E lens is the smallest 50mm Nikon has ever made, if I'm not mistaken. On camera it looks almost like a pancake. It contains no coatings whatsoever, and was designed to be the cheap kit lens for the small inexpensive Nikon SLR that Nikon introduced in the '70's.

I decided since it was an inside (snow) day, I'd start my week by confirming and showing what this little lens can't do. Then, the rest of the week I'll concentrate on what it can do.

Shot #1 here shows its susceptability to glare and ghosting from the lack of coatings. The small christmas tree was sitting on a table on my back porch, waiting to be trimmed. I decided it would be fun to silhouette it and to see if I could get a sunstar on top of it. Turns out I could not quite get far enough away from the tree to accomplish that, but I did get the sunstar along with accompanying glare and (down the stem from the sun) a small purple ghost. Not always a show stopper, but something my 50mm f1.4D doesn't do, or at least do as much.

Day 1 Picture 1 - Backlight, Sunstar, and Flare/Ghosting
View attachment 1592039
Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/16.0 at 50.0mm iso220

Another deficiency of this lens is a pretty distant minimum focusing distance. The following shot was taken at minimum focusing distance, and as you can see it leaves quite a space between camera and subject.

Day 1 Picture 2 - Not a Close-Shooter
View attachment 1592040
Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/8.0 at 50.0mm iso6400

Of course, this can be rectified with tubes or close-up attachments. I added one of my set of inexpensive Vivitar close-up filters, and was able to get the following. Since the lens is 52mm in thread, these attachments are readily available and cheap.

Day 1 - Picture 3 - A Close-Up Solution
View attachment 1592041
Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f1.8E, 1/125s f/4.0 at 50.0mm iso6400

Tomorrow is another day. I will be taking the camera/lens with me as I go through the day. We'll see what I get with this little guy.

Interesting concept - highlighting weaknesses. That Vivitar close-up filter didn't do too bad IMHO. Good start Harry.

A quicky to get started
View attachment 1592079
D750 50/1.4 1/200 at f/4.0 ISO 500

I just liked the pattern made by the fencing with little snowy waves from a nearby house who's owner wondered what I was up to but smiled when I waved the camera in his direction (was too far away to talk).

Good eye - I love the patterns snow can make. Nice work preserving detail in the snow.

Hopefully, my only product shot this week. I've tended to lean on those too much for Week 50 over the last few years. Just received this a few days ago. Part of my current need to downsize life, a lot of my hobby stuff is being reduced in quantity and/ or size. Minor adjustments in DXO, slight crop after straightening the camera's horizon line.

K-1, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.4, 1/1250s, f/2.8, iso800, tripod, remote, handheld light diffuser in morning sunlight.
View attachment 1592096

Last edited:
Hopefully, my only product shot this week. I've tended to lean on those too much for Week 50 over the last few years. Just received this a few days ago. Part of my current need to downsize life, a lot of my hobby stuff is being reduced in quantity and/ or size. Minor adjustments in DXO, slight crop after straightening the camera's horizon line.

K-1, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.4, 1/1250s, f/2.8, iso800. tripod, remote, handheld light diffuser in morning sunlight.
View attachment 1592096
Attractive photo of a gorgeous bit of kit, oh and I'm doubly admiring of your kit and that you needed a sun diffuser :)

Last edited:
Great to see you all here and good luck for what should be a fun week of Challenge shooting. I have chosen my 50/1.2 AiS (paired with my D700) which is a wonderful lens but sees too little work.

_DSC8011.jpg

This Seth Thomas windup metronome was probably made in 1968 and I used it for probably at least ten years. I've wanted to photograph it for a long time, so the Nifty Fifty week gave me the ideal excuse.
D7000 and 35mm f/2 D

Mike 2017-12-11--020-S.jpg

We had fresh snow last evening and the afternoon sun is low this time of year so shadows prevail. This is the park across the street from my house with the Red River (of the North for Americans) beyond.

Larry
DSC_0751_DxO.jpg

DSC_0752_DxO.jpg

DSC_0757_DxO.jpg

K-1, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.4, 1/1250s, f/2.8, iso800, tripod, remote, handheld light diffuser in morning sunlight.
View attachment 1592096

Gorgeous camera, Gordon, well captured. As Thom says, "another leaker" off to Fujinon.

Real Name
Michael
Old Jail Museum monochrome with old 50mm.

NFM%20007-XL.jpg

NFM%20002-XL.jpg

NFM%20008-XL.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom