2017 Week 50 Day 3 (13 Dec)

This is a cheap, plastic swan purchased at a dollar store just so I could photograph it. It's intended I think to be used as a vase for perhaps just one flower stem. It has a small opening in the top making it possible to put water in it, though I removed evidence of that opening when I post-processed the photo.

D7000 and f/2 D

Wandered about what passes for the local city park.

Ugly Ducks - tried to get the three in a diagonal, but I messed up the first few attempts at focus so this is all I got. Slight crop associated with leveling the horizon line.

I liked the faded and peeling colors, not the best comp.

City Christmas Tree, now in the main park along with some other decorations. I need to find out when they are lit and see if I can get some night shots.
That's a good selection. It's too bad the third duck didn't cooperate to balance the image.

Larry

Here is my Day 3.

The 50mm is a great head and shoulder portrait lens on a DX body, but on a 24mp FX? Anyway, I ploughed on as I wanted to get photos of these two gents, whom I dearly love. Because I generally had to stand about 4 ft away for them and me to feel comfortable, these required cropping. Sorry. But then again, I guess you can say that is an advantage occasionally for a 50mm. Nonetheless, this would have been a natural for the 85mm f/1.8 or the 105mm f/2.8 .... not so much for the 50mm But this little bugger of a lens is sharp if you can nail the focus (see Greene, Thayer).

These are two men from the "Old Mens' Club" as I call my current friends.

Thayer Greene

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S Series E, 1/60s f/5.6 at 50.0mm iso3200

Thayer, a 92 yr old psychiatrist, is one of the most insightful men I've every met. I believe that wisdom shows in his face. He is an Amherst College Magna Cum Laude graduate, an ordained Congregational Minister with a successful stint heading one of the leading churches in the area, and then a forty year career as a prominent Jungian analyst in NYC. He is back in the area and I am thrilled to know him.

Jerry Guran

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S Series E, 1/60s f/2.8 at 50.0mm iso500

An extraordinarily interesting man, Jerry is a very, very bright High School graduate who singlehandedly raised a stepson and two children of his own when his wife left him (and them), put them through college, and set them on the path to successful professional careers. And he did this on a potpourri of jobs, none of them particularly high paying. Sailor, bus driver, mailman, bartender, then later tour business manager for several jazz groups followed by business manager of a very successful night club. Jerry presents a gruff, skeptical persona when you first meet him, a jovial, funny persona when you know him, and underneath it all a caring and sentimental love of family and friends. Can you see this in his face?

At any rate, that represents my Day 3 take.
I think you caught their characters very well. The first one looks like it need a white balance tweak.

Larry

Day 3 - light snow started falling...

Nifty-Fifty-24338.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nifty-Fifty-24345.jpg

Real Name
Michael
Day 3
I took the wife to her eye appointment this afternoon, which is close to city park, so after I dropped her off, I went to the park for awhile. I never really thought about shooting wildlife with a 50, but they were pretty tame and hard to resist.
NFM-3%20007-XL.jpg

NFM-3%20010-XL.jpg

NFM-3%20001-XL.jpg

Day 3
I took the wife to her eye appointment this afternoon, which is close to city park, so after I dropped her off, I went to the park for awhile. I never really thought about shooting wildlife with a 50, but they were pretty tame and hard to resist.

]
The third one is very nice. The first one looks overexposed, perhaps somehting to do with the 1.67 ev exposure comp. I got a squirrel picture with my 50 today but it was in a live trap prior to relocation.:)

Larry

Day 3
View attachment 1592306

View attachment 1592307

View attachment 1592308
Michael, this is a really nice set of photos. The squirrel looks like it was telephotoed, the geese are handsome, and the last photo .... wow .... a lovely way of putting your location in perspective.

Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin

The inventor of the mighty air ships, like the "Hindenburg".
View attachment 1592260

Kind regards
Klaus

Nicely done statue portrait - I like the tones you have in this one.

This is a cheap, plastic swan purchased at a dollar store just so I could photograph it. It's intended I think to be used as a vase for perhaps just one flower stem. It has a small opening in the top making it possible to put water in it, though I removed evidence of that opening when I post-processed the photo.

D7000 and f/2 D

View attachment 1592265

Mike - wouldn't have known it was "cheap plastic" if you hadn't told us. The backlighting works to great effect here.

Appetizer...
View attachment 1592266

Lunch (minus the rice they normally provide)...
View attachment 1592267
[Chicken Sup Pra Ros]

Wonderful foodie shots Paul! Thai place?

It was nice to have a little more time today. I found this interesting shadow play on a church wall whilst on my to a lunch meeting.

View attachment 1592268

David - interesting patterns, great tone.

An eye appointment took me near a big mall, so with snow falling and a freezing wind blowing, I headed inside.

Larry

1. a man's worst shopping nightmare
View attachment 1592275

2. or if you have more conservative tastes ......
View attachment 1592277

3. to get your own wishes granted
View attachment 1592276

LOL at the caption for photo 1. :) I like the chocolates display for various reasons! Santa looks bored.

Here is my Day 3.

The 50mm is a great head and shoulder portrait lens on a DX body, but on a 24mp FX? Anyway, I ploughed on as I wanted to get photos of these two gents, whom I dearly love. Because I generally had to stand about 4 ft away for them and me to feel comfortable, these required cropping. Sorry. But then again, I guess you can say that is an advantage occasionally for a 50mm. Nonetheless, this would have been a natural for the 85mm f/1.8 or the 105mm f/2.8 .... not so much for the 50mm But this little bugger of a lens is sharp if you can nail the focus (see Greene, Thayer).

These are two men from the "Old Mens' Club" as I call my current friends.

Thayer Greene
View attachment 1592283
Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S Series E, 1/60s f/5.6 at 50.0mm iso3200

Thayer, a 92 yr old psychiatrist, is one of the most insightful men I've every met. I believe that wisdom shows in his face. He is an Amherst College Magna Cum Laude graduate, an ordained Congregational Minister with a successful stint heading one of the leading churches in the area, and then a forty year career as a prominent Jungian analyst in NYC. He is back in the area and I am thrilled to know him.

Jerry Guran
View attachment 1592284
Nikon D600 ,Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S Series E, 1/60s f/2.8 at 50.0mm iso500

An extraordinarily interesting man, Jerry is a very, very bright High School graduate who singlehandedly raised a stepson and two children of his own when his wife left him (and them), put them through college, and set them on the path to successful professional careers. And he did this on a potpourri of jobs, none of them particularly high paying. Sailor, bus driver, mailman, bartender, then later tour business manager for several jazz groups followed by business manager of a very successful night club. Jerry presents a gruff, skeptical persona when you first meet him, a jovial, funny persona when you know him, and underneath it all a caring and sentimental love of family and friends. Can you see this in his face?

At any rate, that represents my Day 3 take.

Wonderful set and background story Harry. And IMHO, the "Old Men's Club" doesn't look that old - certainly not 92.

I like the comp of the first better, but the texture and tones of the second are like a siren call to me - the rock almost looks like it is rusting.

Day 3
View attachment 1592306

View attachment 1592307

View attachment 1592308

Cool set - critters with a 50mm isn't the norm. And that third photo certainly shows a gaggle of geese.

David - interesting patterns, great tone.

Wonderful set and background story Harry. And IMHO, the "Old Men's Club" doesn't look that old - certainly not 92.

Thank you Gordon. Thayer says continuing his therapy practice, even if only on a very part time basis, keeps him from feeling his age. I think it is more than that, however. He was an all-star pitcher in college, the Massachusetts senior men's tennis champion at 75, and until last year played full rounds of golf.

Klaus: You nailed the color of the sculpture. It's interesting to see the green tones mixed with the brownish tones.

Paul: Very convenient of you to order lunch made of such complementary colors. :ROFLMAO:

David: There is so much to like about your photo that I'll only mention that I like how the strong lines fade in and out both in the window and on the wall. Great eye!

Larry: Your photos in the shopping mall remind me how the Internet made my Christmas season immeasurably more enjoyable, as it has been years since I have been in one that time of year.

Gordon: Your photo of the Christmas tree nicely conveys its height. My only question is whether its north star is indeed pointing north. :ROFLMAO:

Harry: Both portraits nicely convey your subjects' personalities.

skidoo: My favorite is the young tree. The contrast between the subject and larger trees in the background works for me.

MichaelT: Very attractive landscape with the skyline in the background.

<snip>

Gordon: Your photo of the Christmas tree nicely conveys its height. My only question is whether its north star is indeed pointing north. :ROFLMAO:

<snip>

:D If I remember to take a compass with me, I'll check if I get back to it this week. I don't think the guys who put it up would be that attentive, but ya never know...

Latest threads

Top Bottom