Critique 2019 Octoberfest – acnomad (Andy) – Hardcore - 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor - Day 31 - A New Day + Epilogue

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Excellent choice to end, and love how the sprinklers are timed perfectly, front and back. I would consider a BW conversion, might be stunning with those dark areas.

With no particular theme for my Octoberfest 2019 thread, I set out only to produce one decent image per day. This left me without a clear idea for image #31. Come to think of it, that was the case at the start of most of my days in October!

This morning, I happened to be in a place where lawns are still being watered, unlike back home where grass is going dormant for the winter. So, I thought it would be appropriate to end with an image that represents not the end, but a beginning.

Thank you all for a wonderful month. I have been inspired by your work, learned from your critique, and lifted by your praise.

31. A New Day
View attachment 1649169
Wonderfully dark vignetted image with great ThreeDimensionality. Layering. Distances.
A great promise for a new start!

Real Name
Chris
Very poetic and a wonderful photograph in it's own right. It has truely been a wonderful month to get to know you through your daily photographs. The concept of ending with a beginning is classic, and you've done it so well!

Real Name
Andy
Great shot to end the month with--a beginning eh, so we'll see you back next year :joyful:

Thanks for the great encouragement, the attention to detail and the sheer diversity of your images. I wish I had half your discipline.
Yes, I already look forward to next year!
Well done shot, both in composition and execution. Great set of images from you this year Andy!
Thanks, Paul. Right back at you!
Excellent choice to end, and love how the sprinklers are timed perfectly, front and back. I would consider a BW conversion, might be stunning with those dark areas.
Wade, you frequently suggest B&W conversions, and have a good eye for recognizing when they would be appropriate. That has been one of my takeaways from this experience - I need to think about the possibility of a later B&W conversion more often while shooting, rather than only as an afterthought while postprocessing.
Wonderfully dark vignetted image with great ThreeDimensionality. Layering. Distances.
A great promise for a new start!
Thanks, Roland. I had hoped to find some sort of catchy subject matter, but instead, for a change, recognized the chance to shoot a mood and a feeling.
Very poetic and a wonderful photograph in it's own right. It has truely been a wonderful month to get to know you through your daily photographs. The concept of ending with a beginning is classic, and you've done it so well!
Thank you, Chris. Your comments and your own posts have really helped me stay on this task.

Real Name
Andy
Epilogue: Octoberfest Image Summary
  • 31 images total
  • 16 images at f/11 or f/16. Nine more at f/5.6 or f/8. Four were wide open at f/2.8. One each at f/22 and f/32
  • 18 images were made at or near home in St. Charles, IL. 13 images were made while traveling. (Santa Ana, Mexico City, Indianapolis, Spokane, Orlando, Phoenix, Kalamazoo, San Juan, New York, and Punta Cana)
  • Seven images were shot from a tripod
  • Four images involved stacking multiple frames
  • Three images were made with a flash (or two)
  • One image was made with an extension tube

25. Portrait of an Elk

Who says you can't shoot wildlife with a 55? This fellow lives with a small herd in a large fenced off section of a forest preserve located in Arlington Heights, just adjacent to a town appropriately named Elk Grove Village. I used to frequent the running loop when I worked nearby some years ago. Today, I dropped by just before sunset, knowing that they'd be out for their evening graze. This bull approached the fence in hopes that I would ignore the "Please Do Not Feed Elk" signs and obliged me with this pose. A few more from today are in the bucket.
What a wonderful shot, Andy. I feel I can look right through that eye, it is so clear.

26. Bouncing Water Drops

Leaf on a glass patio table, rainfall was being filtered by the overhanging maple tree. Single strobe camera right. In the absence of any precise triggering mechanism, I simply made numerous exposures hoping to get lucky with a bounce. Stopped shooting when I was tired of getting wet (and wondering if the rain was going to short out my strobe)! This was one of the handful that had droplets in the air.
Your cleverness and persistence were well rewarded, Andy. Never seen "bouncing water drops" before.

27. Black Knight

Two off-camera strobes. Main light was at 1/16 power approximately 12 inches, camera right, backlighting the chess piece at an angle, hence the shadow on the left side of the frame. Fill light was at 1/128 power handheld approximately 4 inches directly above the camera, but feathered to the top of the chess piece to bring out detail without casting another shadow. And yes, my sensor appears to be dirty again.
A powerful presence due to that lighting, Andy. Congratulations.

29. Wingspan

Not sure what this sculpture is called, but if it were mine, I'd call it "Wingspan."

Personal note: with a fairly sudden shift to colder weather today and no particular idea of what to shoot, I was quite reluctant to get out. Thanks to all participating in Octoberfest for the accountability and motivation to stay in the daily routine.
The name is appropriate .... looks like a slightly bent man's back with arms outstretched. Nice perspective and lightplay.
28. Good Morning St. Charles
Beautiful shot. The close-in sculpture ... how lit? Did you use a fill flash? Other lights behind you? I don't see how those highlights could be from the sunrise or the lighting on the other side. Or am I just dense?

With no particular theme for my Octoberfest 2019 thread, I set out only to produce one decent image per day. This left me without a clear idea for image #31. Come to think of it, that was the case at the start of most of my days in October!

This morning, I happened to be in a place where lawns are still being watered, unlike back home where grass is going dormant for the winter. So, I thought it would be appropriate to end with an image that represents not the end, but a beginning.

Thank you all for a wonderful month. I have been inspired by your work, learned from your critique, and lifted by your praise.

31. A New Day
View attachment 1649169
I'm going to leave this one visual in my reply .... that's how much I like it. Andy, your use of that 55 this month has been superb. Your use of lighting and light has been superb. Your comments have been encouraging and helpful. I look forward to shooting alongside you again in the future.

Real Name
Andy
The close-in sculpture ... how lit? Did you use a fill flash? Other lights behind you? I don't see how those highlights could be from the sunrise or the lighting on the other side. Or am I just dense?
You’re certainly not dense! In fact, quite astute for noting this mysterious light source, which is a floodlamp at the base of the sculpture. I left it out of frame and burned away the residual glow in post.

Real Name
Chris
Very analytical Andy! ;) Your pictures however cannot be reduced to numbers, as they brought us a true expression of what was in your mind's eye. The humor and grandeur you've shown us has been a pleasure to behold. Thank you so much for playing Octoberfest with us!

ps. I hope you do not mind if I appropriate your epilog concept.

Last edited:
A strong finish to a great month of shooting Andy. Thanks for playing in Oktoberfest. It was great to get to know you and your work and I look forward to seeing more of you around the Forum.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hi Andy,
I've just gone through your Octoberfest.
It was stunning and interesting.

Thank you for showing such impressive pictures
Klaus

Latest threads

Top Bottom