Announced: Three really promising Nikon products

According to Nikon, it is 70g lighter but 18mm longer than the 70-200mm f/2.8E. I was hoping it would be a little lighter and smaller. I haven't seen any pricing info yet...
Add FTZ adapter to F mount model and than compare length against the Z mount model ?.

Hint, FTZ depth measured flange to flange is longer than 18mm; 46.5 - 16 = 30.5mm.

Real Name
Andy
Add FTZ adapter to F mount model and than compare length against the Z mount model ?.

Hint, FTZ depth measured flange to flange is longer than 18mm; 46.5 - 16 = 30.5mm.
Yes, I have used the 70-200E on Z6 with the FTZ quite a bit, and understand that the overall length will be reduced by 12mm if I get the S. I had just hoped that the net size reduction would be more significant.

I’d love to make the jump, but it’s simply not in the budget for the near term. I’m really interested in the upcoming 50/1.2, but who knows when that’ll happen, or how much it’ll cost. Meanwhile, I’ll keep enjoying the 70-200 VRII.

Yes, I have used the 70-200E on Z6 with the FTZ quite a bit, and understand that the overall length will be reduced by 12mm if I get the S.
I had just hoped that the net size reduction would be more significant.

I think, to get a significant size reduction, the lens would have to be an extending zoom, like the Canon.
So it is small for transport, but extends in use.

For me, the big negative for extending zooms (the few that I tried), is that the zoom ring is stiffer than internal zooms. I think this is due to the extra force that is needed to push out/pull in the front optics and extending barrel.
Once you get used to a light easy to turn zoom ring, the stiff zoom rings become a negative.
If you shoot LONG gigs, where you are constantly working the zoom ring, like sports, the easy to turn zoom ring become more valuable, to your hand.

Latest threads

Top Bottom