D850 sample images

Pretty impressive!

Hi Roger;

Yes indeed, I'm finding the D850 to be a very impressive, but demanding camera. Getting the most out of it requires excellent quality glass and good technique. When shooting action, it's just as demanding as the D500 and needs shutter speeds approaching 1/3000. I'm also finding that I may need to leave my only teleconverter (TC14EIII) in the bag for action shots as it's not playing well with the D850. I'm beginning to think that Thom Hogan didn't omit TC's from his list of recommended lenses by oversight, because the more I'm pushing IQ, the more I'm finding TC's are becoming a limitation. (That said, I need to take another run at fine tuning). Bottom line is that the smaller the pixels get, the harder it is to maintain optimum IQ. But if a capture is done right, the results can be stunning.

P

photogramps

Hi Roger;

Yes indeed, I'm finding the D850 to be a very impressive, but demanding camera. Getting the most out of it requires excellent quality glass and good technique. When shooting action, it's just as demanding as the D500 and needs shutter speeds approaching 1/3000. I'm also finding that I may need to leave my only teleconverter (TC14EIII) in the bag for action shots as it's not playing well with the D850. I'm beginning to think that Thom Hogan didn't omit TC's from his list of recommended lenses by oversight, because the more I'm pushing IQ, the more I'm finding TC's are becoming a limitation. (That said, I need to take another run at fine tuning). Bottom line is that the smaller the pixels get, the harder it is to maintain optimum IQ. But if a capture is done right, the results can be stunning.

Thanks Gary, that is very useful information, my main genre is wildlife and a lot of that is small birds so TC's are on the end of my 500 f4 VR most of the time, especially the TC-17 EII. I didn't find TC's to be a great problem on my D810 and they work well with my D500 but the jump in pixels to the D850 may be a jump too far for them then.
1/3000 can be a luxury here in the UK :) ... I will be interested to hear your further experiences down the line. :)

Dead thread??:( Anyone still shooting the D850??

An example of the insane detail. Taken with the 200-500 (FF has EXIF):

FF
DSC_3222_6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100%
DSC_3222_5.jpg

Taken with the DX Sigma 50-100 @ f1.8. Shot in FX mode, landscape orientation, so all I did was crop of the left and right sides and lost the vignetting. I find that NEFs from the D850 need very little time in post processing.

Nick_0028_openWith-1.jpg

Real Name
Tim
Taken with the DX Sigma 50-100 @ f1.8. Shot in FX mode, landscape orientation, so all I did was crop of the left and right sides and lost the vignetting. I find that NEFs from the D850 need very little time in post processing.

View attachment 1594340

This image might have just pushed me over the edge on finally buying one....a big (mildly sarcastic) thanks! :D

Real Name
Tim
It will look so much better with your face there . . . .;)

There's a reason why my backs always to the camera....or not in many images :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This one being the exception (My D810 in the hands of a Canon shooter):

25798368688_524d91d7ce_b.jpg
810_1737 by Tim Robinson, on Flickr

Thanks.
Several earlier versions had to be deleted--every single spec of dust and every fingerprint and smudge showed up on my glasses :eek:. Got to practice safe shooting with the D850, it sees everything!

Latest threads

Top Bottom