Dominican Republic in April

Howdy! So, my wife is exhausted from an ongoing yearlong transition to Executive Director of her organization. She asked me to research an all inclusive resort on the beach where she can sit in a pool or on a beach and be vegetative for a week. Our eleven year old son is coming along, as well. We aren’t 100% committed to the DR, but it seems the combination of airfare and overall cost is about optimal there. We’re near the southeast coast.

Basically, if we end up in the DR, what are some interesting things to do off resort? I’ve done the whole travel advisory thing, and the State Dept gives the DR a level 2, which is pretty common in the Caribbean. Our son has a bit of a fish phobia, so he’s hung-ho about swimming, but very tepid on the idea of snorkeling. I’m planning to make two dives while there. Caves/cenotes are of interest, unusual beaches, unique woodland environments, geologic formations, etc. We will be using resort services and/or local guide if and when we leave the property to better ensure safety.

Thoughts and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!

Rather than the DR with the recent issues re:tourists safety I would suggest Turks and Caicos or Aruba.

Turks and Caicos is one of our favorites, Most of the resorts are located on Grace Bay a 12 mile Long Beach with some of the prettiest sand and crystal clear water anywhere. Beaches has a very large resort right on Grace Bay with a pier that accommodates various water based activities. Also on the grounds are numerous pools, a waterpark and I believe over 15 different restaurants . When looking out over the water the clouds take on a turquoise hue reflecting the colors of the waters. We found Turks and Caicos to be very friendly, On each of our visits we've rented a car and had no problem navigating the island and it allowed us to be independent hitting the grocery store, sight seeing or just enjoying an evening at one of the many fine restaurants. Every Thursday a Fish Fry was held at a local beach park, where local vendors would exhibit merchandise and restaurants would sell their specialities while enjoying local music played on saws and drums. In fact last time we were there Shaq Oneil came and joined the fun mingling and dancing with the crowd.

Aruba is another Island that has a lot going for it. Seems a little more exotic as you'll hear number of foreign languages being spoken vs T&CI where its mostly English. Aruba is also quite a bit bigger. Palm Beach is an area with numerous resorts and a boardwalk that fronts the beach so you can make your way down to different restaurants and shops if you want. On the other end of the spectrum is Eagle Beach area with smaller resorts. Aruba is for the most part desert, except for the hotel areas that have irrigation. The North West coats is very rugged with little more than cactus growing. We saw lots of people taking 4wheeler tours through the moon like landscape.

Our favorite of all would be Canneel Bay on St Johns USVI but unfortunately they are still trying to recover from the Hurricanes that hit couple of years ago and won't open until the 2021 season.

Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

Wife and I went to Punta Cana back in November and had a great time. We stayed at an all-inclusive which is nice but the food was meh (like usual) and we didn't get off resort at all except for airport transfers. I, personally, would rather not go off resort even though we felt safe the entire time there.

The beach was fantastic and there was no concern of fish/marine mammals. I'd go back in a second, though i'd probably find a better all inclusive or stay away from the tourist locations and rent a house. Though i agree wiht the above that I would check out other locations as well.

Wife and I went to Punta Cana back in November and had a great time. We stayed at an all-inclusive which is nice but the food was meh (like usual) and we didn't get off resort at all except for airport transfers. I, personally, would rather not go off resort even though we felt safe the entire time there.

The beach was fantastic and there was no concern of fish/marine mammals. I'd go back in a second, though i'd probably find a better all inclusive or stay away from the tourist locations and rent a house. Though i agree wiht the above that I would check out other locations as well.

We’ve narrowed it down to one that is highly rated. There are the usual group seating restaurants (like a cruise ship), but also apparently two very nice “a la cart” restaurants on the property. Sounds like the resort has a pretty robust schedule of tours available, and I’ll do at least one dive day. It’ll be restful, at least, which is really what’s most needed.

D

Deleted member 4116

Just don't put a lot of high expectations into the restaurants or the a la cartes. Ours was much nicer than the one we had in Playa del Carmen but we're still talking about a very low bar here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom