Great Nikon dx upgrade or full frame

Hello everyone,,
Looking for opinions on the current best cropped sensor nikon DSLR before making that jump to full frame.

Mostly portrait/studio style shoots

I've had a 3100 for 4+ years now and looking to upgrade to either 7100 or 7200 just wondering if it's the best route or if I should invest more money and take the plunge to full frame baring in mind my lenses are dx too.

Real Name
Ian
If you're shooting in a studio, there's no advantage of Full Frame. Your lighting is controlled, you've got a deep DoF, etc.

In order to offer any useful advice, we'd need to know more about the reasons you're upgrading from your current camera.

Real Name
Andrew
If studio/portraits are what you are looking at then glass is more important than the body.

If you want to stay in the DX world, I'd look at the D7200/D7500.
If you want to venture into FX land - then you could start out with a D610 or a D700.

While the DX lenses you have will work in a cropped mode on the FX cameras, you'll probably end up wanting to get full FX capable lenses, which is an extra cost you may not want to incur.

Regardless....lenses I'd recommend for portrait work in studio, if you do not already have them are the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G and the 85mm f/1.8G if you like primes. If you prefer a zoom, the Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 is excellent.

That's the best I can come up with at this time based on the information provided.

If you're shooting in a studio, there's no advantage of Full Frame. Your lighting is controlled, you've got a deep DoF, etc.

In order to offer any useful advice, we'd need to know more about the reasons you're upgrading from your current camera.

If studio/portraits are what you are looking at then glass is more important than the body.

If you want to stay in the DX world, I'd look at the D7200/D7500.
If you want to venture into FX land - then you could start out with a D610 or a D700.

While the DX lenses you have will work in a cropped mode on the FX cameras, you'll probably end up wanting to get full FX capable lenses, which is an extra cost you may not want to incur.

Regardless....lenses I'd recommend for portrait work in studio, if you do not already have them are the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G and the 85mm f/1.8G if you like primes. If you prefer a zoom, the Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 is excellent.

That's the best I can come up with at this time based on the information provided.

my issue has been solved!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot with DX for years just changed to a D750. I liked both very much but the gap between both formats has really closed. I had a 7500 for before trading it in for the 750. Not sure I would do it again. Just stay with at least 24 megapixels .

Unless willing to lay out some coin on PREMIUM glass, FX is a waste.
I currently have 4 FX and 2 DX body's in rotation. 90% of my students
are thrilled with the croppers. D500's probably the best ever. D7200 a
not too distant 2nd, with an awesome sensor/files.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom