KeyPassX Synchronization

I'm pretty sure there are some other KeePass users on the forum, so help me here if you can.

I want to synchronize two KeePassX database files by saving the latest entry for each stored password. Google searches offer tantalizing glimpses of a built-in sync feature but I can't find it. Can anyone else?

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I simply copy the entire database between machines, and to my phone. I use KeePass2, which is database compatible with KeePassX.
To do anything else would compromise security (that sync program would have to have the key).

From the KeePass Help Center:

KeePass 2.x features a powerful, built-in synchronization mechanism. Changes made in multiple copies of a database file can be merged safely.

After synchronizing two files A and B, both A and B are up-to-date (i.e. KeePass saves the merged data to both locations when performing a synchronization).

I sync mine to Google Drive using "Google Sync Plugin". It's on the KeePass plug-ins page. Search for KPGoogleSync.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You could simply copy all three files to your computer and sync them in pairs using the builtin sync feature, that looks very easy.
The plugins don't explain how they work and that worries me. The only safe way would be to copy the remote encrypted file to the local device, decrypt it there, do the sync locally, save, and then copy the whole encrypted file back.
But suppose they don't do that. Suppose they simply open the remote file using the key, then read its data and write its data while doing the sync. (I strongly suspect this is what they do.) In that case all the data would travel the internet unencrypted. The fact that they don't say seems to show a complete failure to understand digital security and I would certainly not use them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom