Showcase Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 E ED AF-S VR

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Just released, this is going to be THE starting lens for any aspiring wildlife photographer, No its probably not as good as the big exotics, but probably sharp enough in the center at F6.3 to F8 to make it a very nice light lens, I think Nikon will sell a ton of these lenses!

Heck even I will order one!

P

photogramps

Will be interesting to see how it compares with the Tamron/Sigma 150-600 ... for wildlife the extra 100mm is very attractive and for less. :)

Yea it looks like they're competing with the 3rd party 150-600's with this one. I was set to buy the Tamron but I'll wait for the reviews on the Nikon now.

I wonder how the 200-500 will compare to the 80-400, or the 300 f/4 PF with 1.4 & 1.7 TCs...

At 5 lbs it's not exactly light! Only about 1 lb lighter than the 300/2.8, and 1.5 lbs heavier than the 80-400...

Mike

Real Name
Colin Carter
I wonder how the 200-500 will compare to the 80-400, or the 300 f/4 PF with 1.4 & 1.7 TCs...

At 5 lbs it's not exactly light! Only about 1 lb lighter than the 300/2.8, and 1.5 lbs heavier than the 80-400...

Mike

its certainly a nice range, going to be an interesting lens if the IQ is there

I love how the various camera forums are already full of 'but, it's not expensive enough - it can't be any good' :)

I want one.

I am trying to determine if these new lenses with the electromagnetic diaphragm can work with any of my older bodies - it seems the 200-500mm will be OK with the D300, but that is somewhat limiting in a sense. I suspect the price is reflective of Thailand manufacture and no Nano coating, but I'd expect the lens to perform as well or better than the 70-300mm VR which I have; it's certainly an alternative to the Tamron and Sigma lenses in that category, Nikon obviously wanted to tap that market as these third-party makers have done well with their super-telephoto zooms....

I am trying to determine if these new lenses with the electromagnetic diaphragm can work with any of my older bodies ....

According to Thom Hogan:

• New E: Yep, Nikon recycled the E, this time to mean “electronic activation of the aperture.” This first appeared on the PC-E lenses in 2008 and was support was designed into some 2007 cameras. Why? Because a mechanical linkage to the aperture from the camera body is too complex when a lens is shifted and tilted. Now, however, Nikon has made clear that they’re building E lenses for good: the 400mm, 500mm, 600mm, 800mm exotics are E, the 300mm f/4 revision is E, the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 DX lens is E, and more E lenses are coming. This is not without serious legacy implication, however. E lenses will be essentially “maximum aperture only lenses” on many cameras made prior to the switch. This includes the F6, D1 series, D2 series, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, and D3000 bodies. Nikon erroneously labels these cameras as “incompatible” with E lenses, when it really is “losses functionality."

P

photogramps

With the Tamron 150-600 being obtainable for around $950 it'll have to be quite a bit better in my view :)

It's the constant aperture of f/5.6 that would be a big deal for me.....Since I use DX, having anything beyond 400mm/500mm is not necessary and being able to have AF is surely a feature I need, f/6.3 might be iffy. I guess we have some good "bargains" out there for lenses like these....

Slap a TC-14 on the back with the newer cameras that will focus to f8, not too shabby. My question is speed of AF? It will suffer some from simply having a f5.6 aperture, just wonder how the build and such will affect that as well.

Hey, Colin, let me be first.

I just can't believe that Nikon would make such an obviously lousy flexible tripod collar. Won't they ever learn??????? ;)

Seriously, though, why the heck don't any of the manufacturers make an Arca-Swiss compatible collar? You can still have the standard mount, all in the same base.

Real Name
Randy
Yeah that collar has got to be replaced but wait, I'm not getting the lens

Bill you win

I am waiting to see. This would work out great if I can sell my 500 f/4 and replace it with a used 600 f/4. Add the new 200-500 and I have a great range, especially with TCs.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Here are the specs and MTF graphs, http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_200-500mmf_56e_ed_vr/spec.htm shows to me that Nikon has prioritized Tele end performance and the corners are a bit soft on FX should be decent on DX though. Center performance looks good from the graphs. I'm ok with a slightly soft corner performance, since the birds are in the center most time anyway.... the weight is exactly the same as Canons 100-400 II and I can handhold it for some time, although I doubt it is as sharp as the Canon, I hope so in the center at least. I think we should expect plasticky feel :)

To me this a fun light hand holdable tele that can be used well in the car for some window shooting. I think this will be a smash hit, and I'm first on the list at my "dealer"

Latest threads

Top Bottom