Showcase Nikon 300mm f/2.8 Ai-S

Thanks Sheldon. Tip of the iceberg indeed. I've got boxes and boxes of prints and negs and a couple of large bags of film not even developed :redface:. Be that as it may, it feels good to share some images of my older work on the Nikon Cafe. It's hard for me to imagine but many of the images were taken over 20 years ago. Some of the street stuff is pretty gritty. No apologies. All photos are real and unposed.

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS on FM2 Kodachrome 64

Gregory

rogaltacdesign@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg - really nice work. Very film-like :biggrin:

Here's a couple that I've taken since getting my lens. I think I posted them earlier in a separate post, but se la vi. I'm really liking this thing.

p402566599-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p193064396-4.jpg

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes, film does have a film-like quality to it :tongue:. Love your owl shots. He looks so calm. Very nice colour sharpness and bokeh.

Gregory

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS with TC-301 on F3T with T-Max 3200 ISO

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS on FM2 and Tri-X

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS with TC-14B on F3T

"The mayor's coach"

"Jimmy the Con"

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS on F2AS

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS on FM2/F3T/F2AS bodies.
Kodachrome and Tri-X. Gregory

Hello Gregory,

I love seeing all your images in these lovely AI-S threads.

The different and unusual subject matter you select and pursue is hugely refreshing and IMO what makes your work stand out from the thousands of other boring posts.

Quite a welcome breath of fresh air and in stark contrast to the constant mundane and tiresome typically amateurish bird, flower, kids, family, dog and cat images you see from some members.

Thanks James. I really appreciate the kind words. And I'm glad you like the images. It's funny you mentioned subject matter as for years/decades I've been told that I photograph weird stuff and strange people. It's funny, maybe it takes one to know one in order to photograph one ... :tongue:.

Real Name
Chris
I finally got mine in and took it out on friday to test it out, grabbed a shot or two at the airport when I got off work, then over to the prairie for an hour or two before the rain got a bit too close and I didnt want to be stuck 3 miles out with all my gear in a thunderstorm. I am beyond impressed with this lens, 23 years old (very early serial number) and it's still sharper than anything else I own. It was a fairly cloudy day, but at F2.8 to F4 and a D700's ISO, I had no problem keeping shutter speeds up. Anyways, on to the photos. All hand held on D700.

1.) ISO 400, F2.8, 1/640
855124023_Wpt59-L.jpg

2.) ISO 200, F2.8, 1/3200
855128122_Zc6Zp-L.jpg

3.) ISO 400, F/4, 1/320
855126813_VvfQN-L.jpg

4.) ISO 800, F/5.6, 1/1600
855122488_BPph5-L.jpg

Then the surprise of the day, a bald eagle flying around, sat down on the observation platform and ate for a while before flying off. this is after it flew off.

5.) ISO 800, F/5.6, 1/2000
855133334_ckMZZ-L.jpg

6.) Same as above but 100% crop straight out of camera, exported with lightroom.
855164720_fau93-O.jpg

7.) 100% crop again, but with a few adjustments and sharpening ect.
855133349_Ts4zB-O.jpg

Great shots, Chris. What the heck is wrong with you, using this lens for birds in flight? Haven't you heard, you need autofocus for that :tongue:. You really need to get up to speed. Just kidding pal, really nice work. You have a very short learning curve, it seems. Keep them coming.

Gregory

Real Name
Chris
Yes, definitely need autofocus, and VR, and a tripod :wink:... My main interest is of the larger metal birds, in flight or on the ground, but I was hoping to get some shots of gators, which is why I headed to the prairie, but there weren't many around that day. It's weird, alot of people say that their "keeper rate" goes down with manual focus, I've found between this one and my 135, that although I might get fewer keepers, the percentage of keepers goes up.

It's interesting what you said about the keepers. At least when you focus it yourself, you take some credit and a little bit of personal satisfaction in the keeper. I never understood the fun in letting the camera/lens do all my bidding. Focus is such an important and may I say "personal" thing. I for one need more than 51 focusing points. When you manual focus, there are an infinite number of focus points. It's really great that more folks are getting more interested in doing for themselves what Nikon has attempted to brainwash us into thinking that we couldn’t. One thing I can never get used to with AF is the fact that your attention goes to the little rectangles of the AF instead of the whole frame of the viewfinder. And that’s why I’m not buying in. And it's not just the cost of the new glass. For me, there is something in my brain which seems to not function intuitively when I get an AF lens. I just can’t seem to make it work. It's very strange.

Another thing is having to mess with the little cursor on the back of the camera. It falls into the category of things I find extremely awkward and could never get the hang of, like reading camera manuals (and now, setting AF menus :tongue:). The point, when using a 300 2.8, is to raise the camera lens in one motion from my side, frame my subject, hold the lens up, pan and keep everything still and then try to get the decisive moment, all the while keeping the little rectangle on the part of the subject that may or may not change from one moment to another. Not to mention if the subject momentarily goes behind a bush and then the AF zips to the twigs. Now, I have to admit I hate when "I" miss focus. But I refuse to lose even one frame from the dreaded AF hunt. And I know the cameras are getting better but until they can hook the AF to my brain better than it works with hand and eye, I'll stick with the Nikkor AIS glass.

And I really think it's time that Nikon got "serious" about improving their viewfinders to accommodate those who choose to manually focus in order to match the brightness and size of the image to the eye that I get with my F3T made 25 years ago. At some point in this process of upgrading to AF, the good folks at Nikon forgot about the most important component to the whole chain, the photographer. And does anyone else think we are being ripped off by the feel of the focusing in the new lenses :rolleyes:. Or am I the only one who is bewildered by the fact that our connection to the camera lens with our most basic senses (touch, sight) is less than ideal. So people who say that you can turn AF off and focus manually really don't understand what it's like to focus with manual-focusing Nikkors.

You know what would be interesting is to point a very tiny camera back into the photographer when he/she is manually focusing. Something like they did with drivers in a documentary I saw. I think it would be really interesting to see how the eye, hand and brain interact with the subject when achieving focus and anticipating the decisive moment. How much brain power do you think it takes to do all this with nothing more than hand-eye coordination?

You know, so much attention in the last couple of years has been given to cameras and lenses. I think more energy needs to be directed at the most important link in the image chain/photographic process, the photographer.

"Tina"

Taken with Nikkor 300 2.8 IF ED AIS on F2AS and Tri-X pushed to 1600

Gregory

1.) ISO 400, F2.8, 1/640
855124023_Wpt59-L.jpg

Very nice image.

You have these awesome aircraft land at your local airport? :eek:

Real Name
Chris
Very nice image.

You have these awesome aircraft land at your local airport? :eek:

Thank you,
Yes, we have F-18s come in every once in a while. Our general manager is retired Navy, and still has connections with several Navy and Marine corps personnel in high places. So he sets up discounts and takes the pilots out for lunch whenever they come by for training. We get the smaller trainers in probably 4 or 5 times a week, and the fighters about once every 2 or 3 months. During football season we almost always have fighters come in to do flyovers for the games. If you check out my smugmug site everything under "Aviation photos" was shot at my local airport.

Real Name
Chris
A few more random shots from this morning. This time with the TC-301. All hand held. Yes, I know... I should've used my tripod, and my left arm agrees, but what can I say, it was sunny, and I'm lazy...

600mm, ISO 320, F/8, 1/800 I was shooting planes and a med helo flew almost right over me, 2 frames later it was too large to fit in the frame.
865597137_h2S58-L.jpg

600mm, ISO 320, F/11, 1/800. Some random plant all by itself.
865597073_hScob-L.jpg

600mm, ISO 320, F/11, 1/800. Still a few feet from minimum focus distance, I tried to get closer, but it flew away.
865596935_UjsD3-L.jpg

and a 100% crop from the last shot. Not bad for a 23 year old lens with a 2X converter.
865610940_GFGs2-O.jpg

I also got a bunch of shots of planes landing, which is what I was out to shoot in the first place, and those will be up in the planes+ trains part of the cafe later tonight or tomorrow.

Real Name
Chris
Got a few more to share. First some more from the prairie.

1.) Thinking one of my next purchases will be either a decent micro, or some tubes.
300mm, ISO 200, F/2.8, 1/500
855130519_muPV7-L.jpg

2.) 420mm, (with TC-14B), ISO 200, F/4, 1/800
874964611_jjX9c-L.jpg

3.) 600mm, (with TC-301), ISO 400, F/5.6, 1/160
874964140_qmGaM-L.jpg

4.) Had to throw in another BIF, was shooting the herons, and this osprey started flying right at me. A good bit of C/A on the wingtips, and the sky's pretty boring, but I'll take it.
600mm, (with TC-301), ISO 800, F/8, 1/
874964503_bFdcu-L.jpg

Real Name
Chris
and a few planes as well.

1. 600mm (with TC-301), ISO 800, F/8, 1/800
874963588_5vnKQ-L.jpg

2. 600mm (with TC-301), ISO 320, F/8, 1/800 Grain and vignette added in Lightroom
874963839_vCe2L-L.jpg

Nice shots, Chris. If you can, look for PK tubes as they work great on the Nikkor 300 2.8 IF-ED AIS. I still think you might want to get a true macro down the road. Keep posting.

Nikkor 300 2.8 IF-ED AIS on D3

Gregory

Latest threads

Top Bottom