Nikon Z50......Still undecided

I'm considering picking up a Z50 kit with the 16-50, 55-250 & an adapter to be used for travel & when I dont want to carry my D750 and 24-120.
I was leaning towards the Fujjiflim T-30 with the very good 18-50 but after discovering the Z50 I'm strongly considering the Nikon.
I do not intent to purchase any other glass regardless of which way I go.
Any first hand opinions would be greatly appreciated to help push me off the fence ;).
Thanks
James

One consideration is whether you have any other glass?

Another consideration is that while many folks seem to love their Fuji's, I've managed to run two separate systems (manufacturers) before and it is just more complicated. The menus are different, the terminology is different, the UI's are often different. Granted the Z50 is not a D750, and their are some changes you would need to learn, there is much that is the same. AND, if you have any other glass, the Z50 (with an FTZ) becomes a compact back-up for when you do take the D750.

But the other question is why do you want a Z50 and not something like a D5600, or even a D7500? I want a Z50 to complement my Z6; but unless you want to transition to the Z line, or highly value compactness, why are you thinking the Z?

I use three systems, and never had an issue jumping between them. Even on a photowalk I’ll take two systems depending on what I’m likely to come across on the walk.

I was so close to purchasing a Z50 in the recent sales with 19% off for an end of decade special. In the end I decided the Z50 was too basic for my needs. Yes, I’m sure it would be great to use, and give stellar results, but I’ll wait for the next APS-C Z model to be released. Hopefully it has an articulated screen.

• Funny
Reactions: TDM
Thanks for the replys!
I do have a significant amount of Nikon glass that I can use the adapter for.
Also I have no intention of buying additional glass for either the Z series or the possible Fujji.
I really like the compactness of both cameras and some of the features of the mirrorless technology are worth the try.
Of the two I think the Z50 has better focusing for moving subjects and higher ISO performance.

Real Name
David
Personally unless there is something you can point to and say "I want this" on the Fuji or you need the f/2.8 - 4.0, it really wouldn't be a question for me, get the Z50.

Reasons may seems simple but:
  • With the adapter you have access to all your Nikon gear (yes I understand depending on the gear you have some might be full manual).
  • You get a 2 lens kit, a small telephoto option shouldn't be discounted.
  • 16mm on the wide end versus 18mm also shouldn't be discounted.
  • Yes the Z50 body is physically bigger and heavier than the X-T30, but the lens more than makes up the difference.
  • Unless you think you'll be moving to another system it's place to start.
Now if this is "I think I might like to try a Fuji" I'll throw two options at you:
  • You can buy an X-T30 with the 15-45 PZ, it's a power zoom (a negative); but it's also smaller, lighter, and 15mm on the wide end.
  • You can also get an X-E3 used with the 15-45 (or 18-55) used pretty cheap right now. The X-E3 + 15-45 PZ would be smaller than the Z50 + 16-50.
But again, if I still had Nikon gear and was looking for something smaller and lighter for travel it would be a Z50.

Last edited:
8F02321D-1467-415E-A6C2-F0FE2778ABC1.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

as you can see here with an X-T2 and the kit lens (same as X-T30), it is way more bulky than the Z-50.

I'm considering picking up a Z50 kit with the 16-50, 55-250 & an adapter to be used for travel & when I dont want to carry my D750 and 24-120.
I was leaning towards the Fujjiflim T-30 with the very good 18-50 but after discovering the Z50 I'm strongly considering the Nikon.
I do not intent to purchase any other glass regardless of which way I go.
Any first hand opinions would be greatly appreciated to help push me off the fence ;).
Thanks
James
I got the Z50 and 16-50 lens as an alternative to my Sony Nex 6. Although bigger than the Sony, the Z50 fits in a coat pocket, which means I am more likely to take it with me.

While it was intended to replace the Sony, I find it is also taking the place of my D750 and 24-120 f/4. We'll see if that continues......

Real Name
Randy
I wanted to replace my current walk around, a D500 + 16-80 and I considered the Z50 but decided against it. The D500 is also a sports and wildlife body so that helps but I'm still interested in mirrorless. As I get even older I realize I'm going to have to lighten my gear.

I wanted to replace my current walk around, a D500 + 16-80 and I considered the Z50 but decided against it. The D500 is also a sports and wildlife body so that helps but I'm still interested in mirrorless. As I get even older I realize I'm going to have to lighten my gear.

Consider running TWO systems.
#1 - A light system for general shooting; Z50 or m4/3
#2 - A sports/wildlife system; D500 or m4/3 with a long lens.

I currently run two systems.
#1 - is a m4/3 as my general system, to reduce weight.
As a senior citizen with injuries, the weight of my kit has become an issue. I cannot carry the load that I used to. So the only option is to reduce the weight of the kit.​
#2 - A Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4 to shoot field sports.
The 70-200/4 is a really NICE lens to use on the field, because I can zoom it with my fingers. Whereas all the extending zooms that I've used require more effort to turn the zoom ring. This seemingly small thing, makes a difference, when shooting sequential games for 4-6 hours.​

For reaching far, I decided to not use anything longer than a 300 (8.6x) on my D7200, simply to limit the weight and bulk of my kit.
Instead I put a 75-300 on my m4/3 camera, and get 12x magnification in a lighter and smaller kit.
DX = 1.6x crop factor, m4/3 = 2x crop factor.

Real Name
Randy
Consider running TWO systems.
#1 - A light system for general shooting; Z50 or m4/3
#2 - A sports/wildlife system; D500 or m4/3 with a long lens.

I currently run two systems.
#1 - is a m4/3 as my general system, to reduce weight.
As a senior citizen with injuries, the weight of my kit has become an issue. I cannot carry the load that I used to. So the only option is to reduce the weight of the kit.​
#2 - A Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4 to shoot field sports.
The 70-200/4 is a really NICE lens to use on the field, because I can zoom it with my fingers. Whereas all the extending zooms that I've used require more effort to turn the zoom ring. This seemingly small thing, makes a difference, when shooting sequential games for 4-6 hours.​

For reaching far, I decided to not use anything longer than a 300 (8.6x) on my D7200, simply to limit the weight and bulk of my kit.
Instead I put a 75-300 on my m4/3 camera, and get 12x magnification in a lighter and smaller kit.
DX = 1.6x crop factor, m4/3 = 2x crop factor.
I shoot a D5,d500, and a d850. A 400e for sports and a 500e for wildlife. The z50 would replace my d3200 for casual shooting

I shoot a D5,d500, and a d850. A 400e for sports and a 500e for wildlife. The z50 would replace my d3200 for casual shooting

Did you buy Z50?

They now include FTZ to the kit for extra ~$46 and that makes my GAS even worse :) . I'm having 4 Z lenses so Z50 addition would be perfect... Or keep saving for new Z 70-200 2.8S?? Can't decide.

Real Name
Randy
Did you buy Z50?

They now include FTZ to the kit for extra ~$46 and that makes my GAS even worse :) . I'm having 4 Z lenses so Z50 addition would be perfect... Or keep saving for new Z 70-200 2.8S?? Can't decide.
not yet TG
after I got convinced to get the adaptor to use my 16-80 I discovered it was pricey

link to add he FTZ for $46 ?
is this part of the 'yellow' or 'trade in' pgms
they are making this way too complicated
thanks

Real Name
Randy
and it's in the yellow pgm....this is exactly what we were looking for the other day and then the adaptor was $99
w/ a 30 day trial I'm doing this now

Real Name
Randy
YEA I just bought my 1st mirrorless camera and lens. At just over a grand this promises to unseat the d500 from walk around status (which it never should have had but the D800 went away and the D850 files are overkill, whew.....

YEA I just bought my 1st mirrorless camera and lens. At just over a grand this promises to unseat the d500 from walk around status (which it never should have had but the D800 went away and the D850 files are overkill, whew.....
Yeah.
And hell hasn't frozen over, though our forecast for next week has us down to -11F on Wednesday.

Regardless, await your review.

Latest threads

Top Bottom