Photographers beware: eBay buyer steals camera and lens by pretending to receive wrong product

https://www.diyphotography.net/phot...-lens-by-pretending-to-receive-wrong-product/

I’ve been burned by this on EBay, for a lot less money than the person in the story almost lost. About 5 years ago I sold a new B+W 77mm CPL on EBay, it hadn’t been opened. Buyer got it and said he was returning it because it was badly scratched. The filter he sent back was a 77mm Polaroid filter that was badly scratched, looks like it had been dropped on gravel many times. I complained to EBay and PayPal, no success. He got a nice CPL for nothing, pretty slick. That little lesson on cost me about $80, it wasn’t worth wasting a lot of time on it. It’s the last thing I’ve sold on EBay and I rarely buy stuff there.

Lost a camcorder and $200 from one of those scumbags. Got a 2x4 with an obnoxious note in a box that was supposed to be my camcorder. Ebay no help, Paypal definitely no help. PD in his city in FL didn't give a damn.

D

Deleted member 4116

I stopped using eBay in 1999 due to scumclass people. I can only imagine what has transpired in 20 years. They have always sided with the buyer no matter what and that's very troubling as a seller.

Back when eBay started, it was all rather gentlemanly and I bought quite a few things with entirely smooth transactions and with no unpleasant experiences.
But too many stories (like the one in this thread) means that I no would longer intend to buy —let alone Sell —anything on the Bay

Real Name
Randy
I left ebay over 20 years ago......I never even think about looking or selling there and my feedback was excellent, way too risky

I’ve been very fortunate using eBay. I use this formula - no buying from anyone with less than a 99.8% feedback. No one with very few transactions. I may get burned next week, but I do try to be careful.

Real Name
David
Someone tried to scan me on FB last year for over $2k. Over a month after they signed for the package they tried to claim it was an unauthorized payment. But since I had the chat log including how they were impressed with the packing; confirmation of email address, business name, and address; and signature delivery confirmation. It was decided in my favor.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom