saw dust bunny in viewfinder, so how i got rid of it

NikonD810

Today I noticed a dust bunny in the viewfinder but not in the photos. This immediately led me to believe it was in the camera not the lens. So got home and remove lens to look inside the camera body.
Bit of a shock as i like to keep as clean as possible ,even down to sensor cleaning. But this particular bunny was on the rear of the viewfinder. Not only that but the mirror was covered with fine dust as well . Most I suspect would make a dive for a rocket blower but I have had experience of more dust being stirred up using one of these.

I do happen to have this
4mONVL5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

short video

what a great bit of kit. Powered by 2 AAA batteries the head spins at high speed causing static electricity. So I let it spin for about 5 seconds before use. gently going over the mirror with the brush first then another spin for the rear viewfinder glass it totally removed all the dust. The thing about using one of these is to don't disturb any other dust within the camera body.
If your thinking of another cleaning method including sensors then I can recommend this for light dust removal

Wonder how well it would work in my high humidity (most of the time) central Texas ?
I wish they still sold those polonium radioactive brushes, advertised for records (the kind that went on turntables).

NikonD810

Today I noticed a dust bunny in the viewfinder but not in the photos. This immediately led me to believe it was in the camera not the lens. So got home and remove lens to look inside the camera body.
Bit of a shock as i like to keep as clean as possible ,even down to sensor cleaning. But this particular bunny was on the rear of the viewfinder. Not only that but the mirror was covered with fine dust as well . Most I suspect would make a dive for a rocket blower but I have had experience of more dust being stirred up using one of these.

I do happen to have this
View attachment 1649488

short video

what a great bit of kit. Powered by 2 AAA batteries the head spins at high speed causing static electricity. So I let it spin for about 5 seconds before use. gently going over the mirror with the brush first then another spin for the rear viewfinder glass it totally removed all the dust. The thing about using one of these is to don't disturb any other dust within the camera body.
If your thinking of another cleaning method including sensors then I can recommend this for light dust removal

I remember when these first came out and lots of poeple I know got one. They worked, well, very well. Then Nikon added sensor cleaning and so far I've only had to use lots of puffs of air. I'm not afraid of a wet cleaning if I have to, but this butterfly brush does work.. Glad it helped you.

Wonder how well it would work in my high humidity (most of the time) central Texas ?
I wish they still sold those polonium radioactive brushes, advertised for records (the kind that went on turntables).

Got no idea being in the UK myself. Dust is always a problem with DSLR cameras anyway. this is great for light dust not the stuck to sensor type which means swabs etc. The obvious first thing is not to change lenses if possible and if you do at least not where it is windy.

Of course if you paid for me to come over to your place in Texas we could try it out ;)

I alway clean my own sensors, no way would I let a stranger (shop) do it for me

When I talked about this on another site some years ago, a real plank of a person said "doesn't the spinning inside the camera body ruin the sensor". Erm I wonder how thick some people can be

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris

They had them for photography too.

I have this device:
staticmaster.jpg

I checked and the radioactive strip is long dead - Po-210 has a half-life of three and a half months. The device says to replace it cartridge in August of 1983. Here is a closeup of the polonium strip:

poloniumstrip.jpg

Apparently these are still in production. I just ordered a Po cartridge from Adorama. Hopefully it's current and not NOS (new old stock.)

Real Name
Chris
Hey, I've got one of those Staticmasters somewhere! Haven't used it in years.... Now of course the brush would be good for just brushing away things unless I replaced the cartridge.

It is a pretty nice camel hair, retractible brush.

I figured they were illegal since the polonium poisoning of that russian who had a falling out with Putin.

I thought so to. In fact as I originally wrote my post, I ended it with "Thanks Putin!"

But I googled it, and it popped up as new from Adorama, so I ordered one. If it's expired, I'll return it, as I don't need any more lead-206.

Latest threads

Top Bottom