SB-600 just died...Battery corrosion

Well, I was shooting with my Sb-600, and it wasn't firing every time. I thought it was because it was low on batteries, so I took them out. When I took them out, there was corrosion all over the batteries and contacts. Now the SB-600 won't turn on. Just GREAT. Did I do something wrong? Never realized this could happen. Is there anything I can do to revive my poor SB-600?

You didn't do anything wrong; the batteries' manufacturer did. Alkaline batteries will leak. I quit using them in anything that take AA & AAA batteries and use Eneloop rechargables instead. The Eneloops are more cost efficient and don't leak.

What type of batteries. Some battery companies will warrant that they will not damage a product and will cover the repair.

Always Always remove the batteries from a flash unit. For some reason flash units seem to have the most issues with batteries and corrosion, followed by cheap flashlights and "D" cells.

Never really realized you're not supposed to leave the batteries in a flash unit. After looking around a bit, that seems to be the consensus...Guess I didn't get the memo :mad: This is rather annoying...

It has never happened to me but I ALWAYS remove the batteries from my cameras and flash if I am not going to use them for a couple of weeks.
If the corrosion has not extended to the inside electronics of the flash unit, what has been recommended to you should put your flash back into service. Just be careful during cleaning.
Try to keep camera, lens and flash out of humid places and if necessary use a dehumidifier. Humidity is usually high in Florida and I protect my gear with DampRid, available at Walmart stores and change it periodically.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I bought a new SB600 and the dealer put in free batteries.
A week later, I went to shoot. Nothing.
Corrosion had already eaten thru the finish of the contacts.
Of course, my excellent dealer, NIKs in Thailand fixed it immediately for free.

I saved a SB600 flash once with leaked batteries.

Get a pencil. Use the carbon tip (writing end) to scratch the metal contacts in the sb600's battery compart. scratch them hard with the pencil. The residue from the leaked battery will be scratched off and the carbon fills in as contact between the metal and new batteries.

I do not know the technicalities of how this works but hey, it works.

I just pulled out my SB-600 last night to use it and the same thing has happened to mine. Funny thing is I didn't even remember ever putting batteries in the flash when I got it. Oh well, I'll try to clean mine tonight when I get home, but the SB-400 is still going strong.

I can sympathise entirely with the OP had it happen to me a couple of times - luckily with equipment that was not particularly important.

Best advice as given here is to always try and remember to remove batteries (of any kind) from equipment that is not to be used for a while. AFAIK old NiCads can suffer from corrosion, as can any other type due to the possibility of very low current drain or moisture being present.

If the corrosion is chalky white it may be possible to clean it off with white vinegar. Put a small quantity of vinegar in a bowl and use a cotton swab dip in the vinegar (not too wet) and gently wipe the contacts. Finally use a clean cotton swab with water (again not too much) and wipe of the contacts. Then thouroughly dry

After reading these posts I just removed the battereis from my SB-600. I sometimes go several weeks without using my flash. I just hope that I won't forget to put them back in.

Thanks!

Just got wind of this thread, but the same thing happened to one of my SB-900's. Just took a cotton swab and soaked it with vinegar. Counteracts the alkaline very nicely and was able to throughly clean off the residue. I let it dry overnight and now it works like a charm.

After reading these posts I just removed the battereis from my SB-600. I sometimes go several weeks without using my flash. I just hope that I won't forget to put them back in.

Thanks!

Same here. Never had any problems before with the Panasonic alkalines I have been using, but I'd rather be precautionary about it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom