Sensor Gel-Stick

Wow, that's pretty cool, even if rather tardy. Hopefully, the replacement will work properly for you. I haven't gotten around to using mine yet, so this has been an interesting thread for me.

Kerry
I did receive a new one from Photographic life at no charge, there was a delay in shipment as they claim they were waiting for new model? looks same to me......haven't tried it yet.

Real Name
Randy
I did receive a new one from Photographic life at no charge, there was a delay in shipment as they claim they were waiting for new model? looks same to me......haven't tried it yet.

mine came yesterday, still in the box but it's on Monday's schedule

Real Name
Randy
so I have cleaned it 3 times and although it's slightly better I can say with some confidence this is a piece of junk and for $58 they are making a killing on us. Not sure what anyone could have done different as I watched 2 videos and did it by the book.
Oh well, only $58.

I'll take it to the local shop for $49

so I have cleaned it 3 times and although it's slightly better I can say with some confidence this is a piece of junk and for $58 they are making a killing on us. Not sure what anyone could have done different as I watched 2 videos and did it by the book.
Oh well, only $58.

I'll take it to the local shop for $49
:(

Real Name
Randy
i wonder if it's because it's been 2 years since it was cleaned and some of the stuff is just stuck on

this is after 3 cleanings with the gel. Glenn, I used your method to show the spots. Do you drag the slider all the way to the right ?

p1691648392-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i wonder if it's because it's been 2 years since it was cleaned and some of the stuff is just stuck on

this is after 3 cleanings with the gel. Glenn, I used your method to show the spots. Do you drag the slider all the way to the right ?

p1691648392-5.jpg
OMG. That sensor looks like it needs professional help!:eek:

Real Name
Randy
here's the before and as you can see the brush made it much worse, i even cleaned the brush before the 1st cleaning

p1724482771-5.jpg

did you use yours yet ?

I may try it a few more times but I think it adds and removes junk at the same time
Yeah, I used it on a used D7200 I bought. Worked perfectly I thought, but I tested using the white-wall method. How do you do a black shot like your example?

Real Name
Randy
Yeah, I used it on a used D7200 I bought. Worked perfectly I thought, but I tested using the white-wall method. How do you do a black shot like your example?
Glenn's blog describes it in detail, go to the link in his post above...

I don't see most of that in images even at f/13, which is my max but I want it clean

p1691648392-5.jpg
That looks like it still need a bit more work!

It's critical to press the gel against clean sticky paper a few times before applying it to the sensor. You should not be adding any more dust while trying to remove dust.

Yes, I try to get as close to the corners as possible--but try to avoid touching outside of the sensor.

When a sensor is that dirty, I would recommend cleaning a row and then going back to the sticky paper...otherwise you will likely be getting dust on the gel and then reapplying it later to another section of the sensor.

If the sensor gets too much stuff on it--especially sticky substances--it will need a wet cleaning. In my case, I bring it in for a professional cleaning if it gets to that point (and it has!). I think the good thing about the sensor gel is that it maintains a reasonably clean sensor and greatly postpones the time between professional cleanings. For me, that makes it a worthwhile purchase as the cost of the sensor gel is less than the cost of one cleaning--not to mention the inconvenience of bringing it in.

Also, don't get too hung up on the ultimate cleanliness (do not drag the slider in LR all the way to the right or get carried away with a narrow aperture). I doubt that even God could get a clean sensor at f/22 with that slider all the way to the right, for example!

Glenn

I think you might be surprised
I could not see any of that on the sensor with just looking at it

It's critical to press the gel against clean sticky paper a few times before applying it to the sensor. You should not be adding any more dust while trying to remove dust.

Yes, I try to get as close to the corners as possible--but try to avoid touching outside of the sensor.

When a sensor is that dirty, I would recommend cleaning a row and then going back to the sticky paper...otherwise you will likely be getting dust on the gel and then reapplying it later to another section of the sensor.

If the sensor gets too much stuff on it--especially sticky substances--it will need a wet cleaning. In my case, I bring it in for a professional cleaning if it gets to that point (and it has!). I think the good thing about the sensor gel is that it maintains a reasonably clean sensor and greatly postpones the time between professional cleanings. For me, that makes it a worthwhile purchase as the cost of the sensor gel is less than the cost of one cleaning--not to mention the inconvenience of bringing it in.

Also, don't get too hung up on the ultimate cleanliness (do not drag the slider in LR all the way to the right or get carried away with a narrow aperture). I doubt that even God could get a clean sensor at f/22 with that slider all the way to the right, for example!

Glenn
I'm sure I'll be surprised, but as Glenn says we shouldn't expect God-like perfection though that's really hard for an obsessive person like myself.

Real Name
Randy

Glenn

Thanks

and how does one find this tutorial?
I found a different one, but Glenn posted one earlier in the thread http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2014/8/so-far-so-good

I've been pleased with the Sensor Gel Stick. It's saved me quite a bit of money (and convenience) as I've been able to clean my own sensor adequately without resorting to having it professionally cleaned. Here's a blog entry that I posted about my experience with the product:
http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2014/8/so-far-so-good

Since then, I've done a couple of more cleanings. Before long, I'll be posting another blog entry about the Sensor Gel Stick. My most recent experiences are more favorable than my initial try in that I was able to clean the sensor more quickly.

Glenn

I haven't used my eyelead gel stick since initial spot removal some years back. Had some spots that needed cleaning today. Sadly, the gel stick didn't work after sitting for some years, tried repeatedly with different sticky pads to make sure there was nothing on the gel part. Apparently, it doesn't work very well after sitting (not for me anyway)
Went to the store and got some wet swabs ... instant results

I haven't used my eyelead gel stick since initial spot removal some years back. Had some spots that needed cleaning today. Sadly, the gel stick didn't work after sitting for some years, tried repeatedly with different sticky pads to make sure there was nothing on the gel part. Apparently, it doesn't work very well after sitting (not for me anyway)
Went to the store and got some wet swabs ... instant results

Thanks for posting this, West. Like you, I haven't used mine in quite some time...probably two years or more. And I'm a bit reluctant to use it on my new (to me) Z6.

Latest threads

Top Bottom