Sensor size and focus stacking -- LOTS ABOUT FOCUS STACKING

Yesterday I tried my hand at doing handheld landscape focus stacks, limiting myself to 5 images with a fairly large interval. I was hoping that with the in-body VR of the Z6 I might be able to hold the camera stable enough to get something useful. Didn't work. A single photo at f/9 was always sharper. I've resigned myself to using a tripod in future.

I like the idea of a dedicated thread for focus stacking images/discussion.

It help keep a lot of the images together in the one area, and it might be helpful for those starting out for ideas and tuition. It'll hopefully be of interest to those already doing focus stacks, and a place to discuss hardware, and software.

I posted this information also in another thread discussing focus stacking.

The tables shown below are Nikon recommendations pertaining to focus shifting settings using the D850 and the indicated Nikon macro lenses. The information in those tables might be good starting points regardless of the Nikon camera or lens being used.

They come from Thom Hogan's ebook about how to use the Z6/Z7, which I'm using at Nick's recommendation. If the tables aren't helpful, blame Nick. :ROFLMAO:

In addition to those two tables, Hogan explains that Nikon suggests using Step Size 1 for macro images and Step Size 5 for landscape images.

60mm Macro Table.PNG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

105mm Macro Table.PNG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom