Using flash with D5

Thank s for the write up. I shot a wedding outside for the first time with my D5. I got it a couple weeks prior and worked it hard learning it. One thing I noticed in working it was that the Rawls all needed about .6 bump in exposure. I did not internally adjust it yet but I will say where it is made shooting the white wedding dress outside a breeze. Not one blown dress shot but to be fir my d800 did not blow any either but I know I dialed in a 1/3 stop. I also had the isle facing the sun so as the party walked up they were back lit so the sb910 was a lifesaver there. I am thinking I will bump mine up internally. I just got the 850 ad want to see how that does as well. Then if needed I will do both the same proportionate amount.
John,

Maybe you or someone else here can help on lighting with the D5. First, I know next to nothing about flash. Never used it. I am looking to get something where I can do some off camera flash with the D5.

My thoughts so far are a Godox V860II-N with the Godox X1-N trigger. I Like the Godox AD200 better, but it won't go on top of the camera - not that that is a requirement. My other issue is more pragmatic: hold the D5 in one hand while holding the flash in the other!

Any suggestions?

You will need either an assistant or a Light Stand. Also you will need a modifier of some sort depending on the shot. At the last wedding I did not have a non shooting assistant so I put it on the camera and used it for fill. The bride walked down the aisle of chairs outside into the 5 pm setting sun. It made her glow and it was pretty but a nightmare to shoot. So you should look at a on camera flash that you can use off camera as well depending on your situation. I am looking at getting the Godox A200 as well as a couple 600s for location shooting. I have a number of Elinchroms in the studio but just bought an adapter ring so I can use them with the bowens mount flash holder I got. The thing is Bowens is royalty free so you will see that more and more out there now.

I can not hold and shoot the D5 and a flash and it requires a stand. I see people doing it with smaller cameras but I just can not do it well.

Good point. If I can't hold the camera and the flash at the same time, and I do't want to carry a stand around, I should just get the V860II. That way I can add an AD200 in the future, since I think the X1-N works with both...

A flash bracket with a long stem can be a huge help.

RRS and Wimberly make Flash brackets (among several others) and SunwayFoto made a particularly nifty one but it only worked with the thinner lenses and I am not sure that it is still in production.

Latest threads

Top Bottom