Wine

Does the term "Corked" refver to a specific problem? Or just a wine that is not good?

It refers to a wine that has spoiled due to oxidation. This can happen if the cork is faulty and allows air to seep in. That is why wine bottles (with real corks) are always stored on their side. Otherwise the cork can dry out and become porous.

Actually, corked wines are those spoiled by tainted corks: 2,4,6-Trichloroanisole (TCA) is an infection that is induced by corks; Wet dog, wet cardboard are common descriptors. Oxidation is caused by leaking corks.

• Agree
Reactions: NCV
Actually, corked wines are those spoiled by tainted corks: 2,4,6-Trichloroanisole (TCA) is an infection that is induced by corks; Wet dog, wet cardboard are common descriptors. Oxidation is caused by leaking corks.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense. I suspect my wine was oxidized since it also had a slightly darker color than the good wine.

Here's one for the Café Wine Drinking Club/Support Group. A fabulous Monastrell (aka Mourverdre) perfect for a cool August Friday evening. And just to be sure, you'd be listing to the right at this time of the week too! Cheers team!

IMG_3168_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was away for a week without Internet service, so I missed out on the recent discussions.

As for Jim's chicken, if it was hot and humid outside and if the food was being eaten outside, I probably would have gone with a more acidic white. My latest favorite wine grape for that is Gruner Veltliner. Otherwise, the other wines discussed also came to mind before I read Rick's and Nick's responses. By the way, last night I was eating outside at a restaurant and I enjoyed the best Gruner Veltliner I've ever had.

Great discussion about corked wine and oxidized wine! Like Nick, I've had a corked wine only once (many years ago) and that was also at a restaurant. More specifically, it was at a wine bar. The bartender opened the bottle and immediately told me that it was corked before getting another one. I asked to smell it so I could learn what a corked wine smells like. I couldn't smell a thing, which is typical of me whether everyone else thinks the aromas are good or bad; for me, the aromas are always non-existent.

As for Nick's Trimbach Gewurtztraminer, life doesn't get any better when it comes to that grape species.

Last edited:
This afternoon I had a pleasantly surprising wine experience: I went to a particular winery only because it was on my return home from vacation and was mentioned in the most recent Food and Wine magazine. I didn't know until I walked in the door that they do wine tastings only by appointment. Though I didn't have one, the hostess offered me one taste of wine and invited me to return when I could make an appointment. I had never tasted a red wine this good not made in France or Napa Valley, yet I was in Virginia! I immediately asked if she could sell me two bottles of it, which was the 2016 vintage. Recognizing my interest, she brought tasting portions of the 2015 and 2014 versions so I could choose also from them. I've never had three wines anywhere near this good in one wine tasting. I bought the 2014 version.

The winery: https://www.rdvvineyards.com/
They apparently make only two wines and both are Bordeaux-style reds. The wine I tasted wasn't even their flagship wine, so I can only imagine how good that tastes.

The more Grüner's I taste the varied I find them. They cover a wide range from fresh, bright and crisp to rich and mouth filling, and to ripe stone fruit and lime, and to minerals and delicate spice. I've had some that had some age (7 years) and was astounded how good they were. Austria, Switzerland and Washington State seem to be very good places for the grape.

I remember some discussion and education about ways to cool wine a few months ago. Here is anew "study" on the topic. Always, I believe we have the obligation to experiment too. https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/08/fastest-way-to-chill-wine.html

I remember that we went through this argument before. This guy appears to have done a more careful job with the experiments. As a professor who spent several years teaching and doing research in heat transfer and thermodynamics, I am not the least surprised at the experimental results

I remember that we went through this argument before. This guy appears to have done a more careful job with the experiments. As a professor who spent several years teaching and doing research in heat transfer and thermodynamics, I am not the least surprised at the experimental results

This time I do agree with you :cool:. Besides, even I can wait 15 minutes.

Presumably, when you lay it on its side it makes contact with a cold surface so you get conduction through the glass, which is much better heat transfer than convection from air.

It always helps to have an expert in heat transference and thermodynamics hanging out around a thread about wine. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom