YONGNUO YN-622N - Is this off camera TTL?

Why would you need TTL for off-camera flash?
Just use the Manual settings — but you might find a Flash meter useful if you use multiple flash units.

Yes, you can use TTL-capable flash off camera with this trigger and remain the TTL-function.
However, there are a few things worth knowing about the approach and the trigger:
First: Of camera TTL (especially when the flash is used in a modifier and not frontal) works kind of bad and you are better off with manual settings.
Second: This trigger works best when combined with Yongnuo flashes, especially the ones that have the receiver built in. When used with other flashes some work great, but I also have one, where I can't reach true 1:1 level power (The manual settings say 1:1 but it is at best slightly over 1:2)
Third: This is a transceiver unit without any display which makes working with these alone complicated. My personal favourite is to combine the command unit of this system (Yongnuo 622N TX) with Yongnuo flashes that have the receiver built in already (Yongnuo YN 685) and skip the transceivers altogether, unless you use lights that absolutely require one (studio strobes, etc.).

Personally I didn't buy this system for the TTL feature but for the possiblility to use a flash in HSS mode.

I got that controller and a couple YN-622N II that I use with it on SB800's, and I've been delighted especially given the cost. I also added a YN685 flash.

The TTL works fine off and on camera, at least as well as one would expect depending on placement. As mentioned when you use multiple flashes you are not looking just for the right exposure, but differing exposures from each light. I often use the TTL and just +/- against them, and find that works reasonably, but you can easily fall back to full manual (setting from the controller).

I did a lot of testing against the SB800 and the YN685, and found them surprisingly similar in output, color and even coverage; the Yn685 is slightly less powerful but just slightly. It's a big awkward flash for use on camera in comparison, but it's just fine for off (and at the price a huge bargain as it includes the radio). I find no difference in using the SB800's with the YN622N's and the 685.

To me it all worked almost identically to the commander mode on the cameras or SB800, except of course I no longer have to worry about line of sight. I don't regret them at all, they are quite a value.

Oh... the documentation is awful. Don't expect much there, but if you have used a commander mode flash it will seem similar, and search online a bit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom